Tuesday 30 July 2013

Turkey 3/3: coast by boat

Just in time for the last week of the coastal season, I spent half a week on a gulet, a Turkish sailing boat with cabins. After the second night bus from Goreme to Antalya and then a mini bus to Kas, I joined Sulaiman, his crew and about 10 other guests on board a gulet with Alaturka Cruises. Everyone had already been on board several days but in order to fit in Cappadocia, I had to meet them half way. The weather was rubbish for the first 24 hours but in spite of it we finally left the port and sailed west to anchor for the night.

I think it cost me about 160 euro including all meals, and accommodation in my own cabin with bathroom. Alaturka were really great to deal with over email and I would definitely book with them again. The boat was in good order, plenty of space for everyone. A cash bar (cheap) was charged at the end of the week and the Turkish crew were great fun, yet really professional.
Rainy afternoon in Kas



Setting sail for the evening
Soggy guests on the back deck where we ate breakfast, lunch, snacks and dinner
Sun setting on my first evening
A similar gulet sailing by
 Waking up for a swim in Butterfly Valley

Morning dip

Our gulet moored off Oludeniz beach

Waking up on the final day in Gemiler Bay

Ancient ruins off the Turquoise Coast

The crew

Last lunch with everyone on deck

Chilling in the shade on the way back to Fethiye

1 comment: