Saturday 3 August 2013

Berlin

I don't think I had ever heard of anyone describe Berlin as anything other than achingly, uber cool, and with another ex-Tasman flat sibling to visit, I had no excuse not to investigate for myself. I have absolutely no plans to start reviewing technology here, however the Easy Jet app is so dangerously easy to use, that after a few wines and a couple of text messages one November night, I found myself with a gmail confirmation of a ten day trip booking to Berlin.

Back in NZ, Tasman Street really did become a home for a consistently excellent bunch of flatmates, and although we never advertised with a keen interest in representing multiple continents under one roof, A-M and I very often found ourselves to be a kiwi minority. Jess from Berlin was one of the lovelies to grace the villa, and gets some bonus points for purchasing my van off me then travelling the South Island in it with her lovely man (before enterprisingly on-selling it to a dude in the Hutt, for at least the same as she paid for it).

Anyway, after an obligatory bretzel on arrival at the airport (time to kill as my hostess would be at work), I followed some excellent instructions to meet her - immediately buying in to the affordability of Berlin in that the bus and u-bahn cost me hardly anything to get all the way to Cool-berg (can't recall the price, or the exact name of the area I arrived to, but it was cool and there was an amazing health food supermarket for more time killing).

As I was there for over a week, I'm not going to go into much detail about activities, just a list and some pictures of favourite/must-do things. There is so much to do there, eat there and photograph there, and as someone who at 17 didn't know what the 'iron curtain' was (shame) and then proceeded to study it at uni, there is so much history to absorb.

1. Started with a walking tour - great way to get bearings and do some touristing without having to make any effort  / look at a map / make any decisions. It wasn't free, those 'pay what you like' ones annoy me, certainly good value though.
Important landmark on walking tour: hotel where Michael Jackson dangled his baby from the window

2. Templehof airport. Make no mistake, this is *just* a big open space of a disused airport. However if you have been living in London yet hail from somewhere far less populated, then like me, you might not know how much you miss big open space until you go here. Well I didn't. Cool architecture too.
Flying kites at the ex-airport

Main terminal of American military during the Cold War.
One of the world's 3 iconic airports pre WWII
3. Christmas markets. Pretty ace that these pop up everywhere. So much delicious food and hot alcoholic beverages. Whatever the Finnish version of gluwein is, we had too much of it one night at the Scandinavian themed market in Prenzlauer Berg, and had to walk quite a number of miles in a vaguely homeward direction before finally finding a taxi.

Jess and I and some hot alcoholic beverages at the Christmas markets.

Currywurst - probably wouldn't have again (fried sausage, ketchup, curry powder)

4. Brunch. I don't know if this is a new-ish phenomenon like in Paris, or if Germany has always been big into brunch, but either way they do so many options and lots of really delicious drinks. Don't mind if I do have a bowl of fruit, a sparkling rhubarb drink, milky coffee and scrambled eggs with bacon and bread..in one sitting.
Cute presentation of scrambled eggs at Suicide Sue

When I have my own café, this is definitely the vibe I would be going for
Suicide Sue, Prenzlauer Berg (Dunckerstraße 2  10437).
5. The Wall and all of its outside exhibitions / galleries / interactive information.
The city acknowledges and informs the public of its own recent history with facts and anecdotes from what different populations went through on both sides of the wall. It is impressive and extremely well curated in my opinion. You can spend hours walking the city reading the info boards and looking at the landmarks of life along the wall.

Wall exhibits


Structural remnants of the wall between former East and West Berlin
 
6. Turkish Markets by the canal in Kreuzberg. Berlin has a significant Turkish population, largely due to influx of workers who came in the 1960s to address labour shortages. The Turkish market by the canal is full of trinkets, fabrics, jewellery and food. Produce is cheap and it is great for people watching and the surrounding area has some funky boutiques and cool cafes.
Textiles for sale and some hipster Fjallraven backpacks munching on a gozleme (Turkish pastry)

Canal
The more I write, the more I remember that I loved about Berlin. Jess and Tim are becoming a family of three in a few months, so hopefully another trip won't be too far away, to see the bump or hold the baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment